Touch Skills Module 3:
Visceral & Deep Shock Patterns
This module is part of the Touch Skills for Therapists series
This course will present hands-on techniques developed for working with some of the deepest shock and trauma patterns held in the body.
Complex and early developmental trauma plus shock trauma from injury or surgery can be held within the visceral systems in particular ways that disrupt access to coherence and healthy homeostasis.
Including some orientation to the foundational material, this class will provide practitioners with a better understanding of how both developmental and shock trauma interrupt access to healthy regulation within the deeper metabolic and organ systems. The focus is specifically on the impact upon the viscera rather than the overall physiology.
We will practice touch methods that are designed to help resolve traumatic shock states that are held in the viscera, and to support healthier homeostasis. The module will cover:
- Learning to recognise shock patterns in in physically deep visceral structures and related body systems.
- Working with body diaphragms to support the resolution of visceral shock states.
- Understanding interrelated disruptions in multiple body systems, including the fluid systems.
- Working with complex trauma patterns that have disorganised metabolic systems related to the organs.
- Understanding the types of interventions needed to address the chronic dysregulation that within organ systems that may arise from trauma.
- Within the context of the viscera; the chemistry of traumatic stress, titration in physical form and coherence between body systems.
- Somatic metaphors – working with body systems as metaphorical representations of somatic narrative or other meaning that is expressing via the viscera.
Trauma Categories Addressed:
- Complex medical and physical injury, intro to early trauma
- Fluids – poisoning, developmental disturbance
The Resilience & Self-Regulation foundation module or SE Intermediate I-II or similar.