Somatic Experiencing is taught with an approach that supports individual learning styles. It provides a mix of theory and practical work and has been designed so that the information and skills gained in each module are layered and built upon during subsequent modules.
- Each module of the training is facilitated by a senior faculty member from the Somatic Experiencing Trauma Institute. There may be a different faculty member for each training year; as each trainer brings his/her unique gifts and experience to their teachings this can enhance the learning experience.
- Teaching and learning methods include lectures, both in-class and DVD demonstrations, guided self-experiential exercises and small group practice sessions supported by SEP assistants. Practical clinical applications are emphasised with class time allotted each day for practical work.
- After each lecture the technique or concept is practiced in a small group format such as a diad or triad, supported by an SEP assistant.
- Each module builds on the previous as well as continually consolidating the basic SE concepts.
Written home study is not a component of the training.
- A comprehensive training manual is supplied for each module.
- An extensive reading list is available for participants to broaden their knowledge of topics related to each module.
- Participants are encouraged to undertake practice sessions outside of class time and to form local study groups that meet between modules.
- Individual and group case consultations (supervision) are available to participants for Somatic Experiencing related practice.
Due to the delicate nature of a trauma training a safe learning environment is considered to be vital. A three-to-one participant to trained somatic experiencing assistant ratio is maintained in order to create a safe, holding environment and provide in depth feedback on skills during practical sessions.
This high level of SEP assistant support truly separates the SE training from many other body-oriented training opportunities currently available; it ensures all practice sessions are supervised with questions answered at the moment they arise whilst lecture content is reinforced as learning deepens and integrates.
back to top