The Integral Somatic Psychology™ (ISP™) Professional Training
Improving clinical outcomes through the greater embodiment of all aspects of experience and all levels of the psyche. ISP is a complementary modality developed to increase the effectiveness of psychological work in any therapeutic or spiritual approach.
ISP offers experienced clinicians deeper expertise in body psychotherapy based on current research of cognition, emotion and their embodiment as well as on principles of energy psychology.
Integral Somatic Psychology is a comprehensive approach that is designed to increase clinical effectiveness and improve diverse outcomes (cognitive, affective, behavioral) through the greater embodiment of emotions, regardless of a practioner’s primary therapeutic modality.
Integral Somatic Psychology draws from Western and Eastern psychology, scientific research on the neurology and physiology of psychological experiences, empirical research from body psychotherapy schools plus bodywork, movement and energy work traditions.
Integral Somatic Psychology was developed by Raja Selvam, PhD, senior trainer in Dr. Peter Levine’s Somatic Experiencing® (SE™) Training for trauma resolution. The ISP Professional Training is currently taught in over a dozen countries within the US, Europe and Asia.
What Is Integral Somatic Psychology?
ISP offers a means to increase clinical effectiveness through helping clients to embody more levels of their psyche and aspects of experience (cognitive, emotional and behavioural) by fully integrating body, energy and consciousness into any psychological process.
For more information about the many aspects of Integral Somatic Psychology, including the science behind ISP, the evidence supporting its effectiveness in therapy and other resources, please go to What Is ISP?
Integral Somatic Psychology Professional Training Format
The full ISP Professional Training comprises twelve days taught over two six-day modules within a one-year period.
With a mix of theory and practice, the training format consists of lectures, guided group exercises, live demonstrations with participants, daily practice with fellow participants, questions & answers and directed readings.
A comprehensive manual is provided, plus a reading list and links to associated topics.
After attending a module, participants will have the opportunity to review the live training by secure online video.
The value of the complementary ISP approach will be demonstrated especially through topics of current clinical interest: attachment, affect regulation, stress, and trauma.
- Module 1: The Physiology of Emotions and Attachment
- Module 2: The Physiology of Attachment, Stress and Trauma
Those interested have the option of taking the first six-day module only or attending both ISP modules. Completion of both ISP modules is required to receive a Certificate of Completion in Integral Somatic Psychology™ (ISP™).
Integral Somatic Psychology Certificate Program
An optional ISP certificate program is available in order to recognise the accomplishments of trained practitioners.
The ISP certificate program offers a listing on the Australian online ISP practitioner directory.
The certificate of completion in Integral Somatic Psychology (ISP) is awarded to those who have
- Attendance at a live training of ISP Modules 1 and 2 (even if you have already completed an ISP level on DVD or online).
- Four credit hours of personal sessions from approved ISP providers. It is strongly recommended that your personal sessions and consultations are distributed throughout your training. Before booking an appointment, please verify that the provider is approved and on the list.
- Six credit hours of case consults from approved ISP providers. These may be a mix of group consult credits and a minimum of two one-on-one case consults.
N.B. The cost of the personal sessions and case consults is not included in the ISP tuition fee.
Each student is asked to practice key elements of the method by pairing up with another student, or working in small groups (during the training, outside of the training, or both).
To assist in the integration of ISP skills and methodology into clinical practice, case consultation is provided by the trainer and approved ISP consult providers to answer students’ questions on how to integrate theory and interventions into their existing practices. These may be taken in either the individual or group format.
- One hour of one-on-one case consultation will count toward one credit hour of your case consult requirements.
- Three hours of group case consultation will count toward one credit hour of your case consult requirements.
ISP Training by Video
If you miss the first module ,,,,taking the entire ISP Professional Training by video. Full tuition applies.
The training by video includes the review of all course hours and demos by video and the training module manual. For module one only, one hour of consultation by an assigned mentor will be provided to the participant at no extra cost to orient the participant to the ISP approach.
Dates, Location & Cost
PAYMENT PLANS: A variety of payment plan options are available for anyone who registers for either an individual module or the full program. The Super or Early Bird Payment Plans are ideal if you would like to receive the offered discount of the Early Bird but prefer to pay the tuition fee in regular monthly or fortnightly instalments. You may start a payment plan as early as you wish and nominate how many instalments you would like to have. A $77 administration fee applies to any payment plan option. Conditions apply.
Who May Benefit?
If your work involves some level of psychological processing, ISP will prove to be of considerable value to you whether you are trained in a mainstream psychoanalytic or psychotherapy approach, a body-oriented psychotherapy approach (such as Somatic Experiencing, Bioenergetics or Sensori-Motor Psychotherapy), or a bodywork modality such as Polarity Therapy or Cranio-Sacral Therapy, or an energywork school.
It offers therapists a knowledge base to further increase the embodiment of body, energy, and consciousness dimensions in their work without having to change prior clinical orientations or adopt interventions outside the norms of their professional practice.
You will also find the training valuable if you already include the physical body to some extent in your work or personal self-development practice. Your familiarity with the body can be through body awareness or movement practice, body-based mindfulness or meditation practice, yoga or bodywork, energy work, or training in body or somatic psychology or psychotherapy approaches such as Reichian therapy, Bioenergetics, Bodynamic Analysis, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy® (SP), and Somatic Experiencing® (SE™).
- Learn how to work with defenses in the physical as well as the energy body: how the physical and the energy bodies are involved in generating and defending against psychological experiences such as emotions.
- Learn how to work more effectively with stress, trauma, emotion, attachment, cognition and behavior through the physical and energy bodies: Techniques to regulate the body without minimising the very experience you are working with by excessive regulation. This is particularly helpful if you are trained in body-based mindfulness approaches or Somatic Experiencing (SE).
- Learn how to work more effectively with emotions and behaviors using the knowledge of the physiology of emotions from science and other body psychotherapy systems.
ISP offers possibilities to improve your practice in general through a greater understanding of, and working with, the many ways in which the body can generate psychological experiences or defend against them – over and above what the orienting, fight, flight, freeze, dissociation model, the coupling dynamics model, and the SIBAM model can inform us.
Who May Apply
ISP brings together a broad and expanded understanding of trauma, emotions and transformation. Through this training, I have become both professionally and personally more resilient, resonant. With deeper capacity, I am better able to move toward wholeness and coherence. I am able to take clients to greater depth and capacity in a way that is both moving and liberating.
The Integral Somatic Psychology™ (ISP™) Professional Training is for experienced clinicians and therapists, who are engaged in psychological work with individuals or groups in either an active therapeutic practice, work or teaching environment.
The training is open to professionals from a wide variety of backgrounds including those who are a psychiatrist, psychologist, psychotherapist, social worker, marriage and family therapist, counsellor, art, movement or breath therapist, coach, bodyworker, energy worker, psychology trainer or educator, clergy, meditation or spiritual teacher, or other similar professions.
All applications are determined on an individual basis. Upon registering, please use the application form to describe your professional background. If you are unsure whether your present work involves adequate psychological processing or body awareness to benefit most from ISP, please contact the Organiser to discuss your application.
What if I have missed the first module?
If you missed the first live training module you can join the Integral Somatic Psychology Professional Training live from module two after viewing module one by video and completing a self-review.
Is Integral Somatic Psychology the right course for me?
ISP is the right course for you if you engage others in some form of psychological work in any modality and are already working with the physical body to some extent, in either you own personal practice or within your therapeutic individual or group practice or teaching.
Integral Somatic Psychology is a scientific approach to embodiment. It is not a stand alone approach or system for doing psychotherapy, bodywork, or energy work. Where applicable, you are responsible for ensuring that you have the necessary certification or license to do psychotherapy, bodywork, or energy work in conjunction with Integral Somatic Psychology in your professional practice or teaching.*
* Integral Somatic Psychology is neither a regulatory nor licensing organisation and therefore is not sanctioned to certify, licence, or otherwise bestow the legal authorisation to practice as a mental health professional.
Continuing Professional Development
For each 6-day module an Attendance Confirmation is provided for 36 hours of professional development. Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements vary across Professional Associations. Please contact your Association for specific requirements.
To earn CPD hours for a training module completed by video, you are required to complete an evaluation and pass an online self-review, with a score of 75% or higher, that is related to the video content and reading materials.
Those completing both ISP modules will receive a Certificate of Completion for the Integral Somatic Psychology Professional Training.
Support & FAQ
If you have a question that requires immediate assistance, first check our FAQs. All Frequently Asked Questions are listed with a detailed answer.
Integral Somatic Psychology Professional Training FAQ
Upon registering, please use the application form to describe your professional background. If you are unsure whether your present work involves adequate psychological processing or body awareness to benefit most from ISP, please contact email@example.com to discuss your application.
In addition, four hours of personal sessions and six hours of case consultation credits must be obtained from approved ISP providers.
If you missed the first live training module you can join the Integral Somatic Psychology Professional Training live from module two after completing module one by video.
Email your local training coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request, and specify which module you would like to review.
- Requests for transfers have to be made at least 30 days prior to a training start date.
- Requests for transfers are not available for no-shows, or if the transfer request is made within 29 days prior to a training start date.
- Participants making a request for transfer to a different training location need to consult with the ISP™ office to process the consideration of transfer. In Australia, send a request for transfer to email@example.com
If the training locations happen to be in different regions or countries, tuition differences may apply. Payment of any tuition fee differences is the responsibility of the student.
If you want to join the ISP™ Professional Training after module 1 has taken place you have the option to take the first module by video. The full tuition fee applies. Included in the tuition is the review of all course hours and demos by video, the training module manual plus one hour of supervision by an assigned mentor to orient the participant to the ISP approach.
Participants who make up a module by video can retake that module during a live training, when it is offered another time, by paying just 25% of the tuition. The 75% discount for the tuition fee applies in Australia only if both the video viewing and the live attendance are registered by SE Australia.
Those taking a module by video can obtain the CPD attendance available by completing an online test with a score of 75% or higher and filling out a short mandatory evaluation.
To earn CPD for a training module completed by video, you must complete an evaluation and pass an online test with a score of 75% or higher based on the content in videos and provided reading materials. The video option offers a certificate of 20 CPD hours.
• If an applicant is denied access to the training, for any reason, a full refund will be issued.
• If a training is cancelled by ISP or SE Australia, a full refund will be issued.
• If a participant cancels a training by the early bird date of a training module, a full refund will be issued, less the initial non-refundable deposit.
• If a participant cancels a training afer the early bird date and more than 30 days prior to the start date of a training module, a 50% refund will be issued for the tuition for that module; if the participant paid in advance tuition for additional future training modules, a full refund will be issued for those additional future training modules.
• No refunds will be issued for no-shows or for cancellations within 30 days of the training module start date.
• No refunds are issued to participants who miss a portion of the live training.
How to submit a request for cancellation and/or refund:
All requests must be submitted in writing, via email, to firstname.lastname@example.org A request for cancellation is officially granted once you receive a confirmation of cancellation, either by phone or by email.
In some circumstances a graduate may be accepted for an assistant role if up to four training days have been taken by video and the certificate requirements have been met.
Graduates who have taken the entire ISP Professional Training by video do not qualify for a mentoring (assisting) role in the ISP trainings. It is important to be exposed to the teaching and mentoring methods in the live training and during the training exercises in order to prepare yourself for the mentoring (assisting) role.
If you have taken the entire ISP Professional Training by video and you want to learn more by mentoring (assisting) in the ISP trainings, you may retake the ISP modules at a live training by paying 25% of the tuition. Conditions Apply.
If your question has not been answered please email email@example.com and we’ll respond within seven business days.