DARe (Dynamic Attachment Re-patterning Experience) is an inspiring, interactive somatic attachment program for professionals, created by Diane Poole Heller, Ph.D. Learn essential skills to help your clients develop stronger and more secure attachment styles, resulting in more joyful and happy adult relationships.
Adult relationships offer the most powerful opportunity to resolve old, insecure patterns based on adaptations that originally relate to lack of safety, trust, consistency or protection—to name just a few possible bonding deficits. This program provides the keys to the mystery of healthy relationships by teaching you how to compassionately free yourself from the patterns of early attachment wounds that influence adult relationships. This important information is crucial for therapists who want to work with their clients’ potential.
The program presents a unique blend of psychotherapeutic modalities and somatic strategies, neuroscience, and spiritual perspectives, all of which can help you to address your clients’ recovery needs – and your own – in the most effective way, by tapping into our natural and vast potential for recovery and growth.
You will be provided with practical applications and strategies to confidently address your clients’ attachment style and the relational dynamics of Secure, Avoidant, Ambivalent/Anxious, Disorganized Adult Attachment Styles.
Participants will be trained in a unique method of therapeutic approach, which will include working with the relational field and the nervous system as a new dimension for working with attachment wounds and trauma. Many books have been written on the various Attachment styles, but we aim to bring in an experiential focus to your learning, emphasising the practical, clinical applications of this knowledge. You will not only learn to recognise the various Attachment styles, but you will also be provided with valuable tools and exercises, to experience for yourself and to use with your clients.
The DARe Intensive program is a new international format introduced to maximise the program time in the most cost effective way. Comprising of two 6-day modules, each day includes 7 teaching hours.
*** Exclusive to Australia – Bonus Viewing***
To support this format, and included as a bonus within the program fee, all participants will be given one year of online access to the DARe DVD material. Usually retailing for $650 for each intensive, this is an amazing, unprecedented offer and provides many benefits.
It is strongly recommended that the program content is viewed prior to attending to allow for a deeper level of teaching and integration of the material. The videos are available for online viewing upon full payment of the tuition fee.
Why Attend the ‘Live’ Event?
While people may learn “content” and theory via online viewing or streaming, that approach lacks the opportunity for social engagement and attunement or for the practice of repair and corrective experiences that is essential for learning to work with and resolve attachment issues. Also, attending the event offers the opportunity to explore one’s own attachment patterns either within the experiential exercises or by receiving a personal session.
And of course, attendance is a wonderful way to meet others working in the field and is required for those interested in aiming towards the optional DARe certificate.
The program is open to professionals from a wide variety of backgrounds including: Psychotherapists, Counsellors, Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Social Workers, Pastoral Counselors, Nurses, Medical Practitioners, Marriage and Family Therapists, Drug and Alcohol Counsellors, Crisis Intervention Counsellors, Rape Crisis Counsellors, Bodyworkers, Occupational Therapists and those in the helping professions.
DARe is not designed to be an independent method of healing, rather it is a supplementary method intended to be integrated into an already existing practice.
The foundation of Diane Poole Heller’s teachings rests on her firm belief that we are hardwired to heal. Our bodies and our brains are storing memories of early experiences, creating patterns that deeply affect our relationships and our behaviors in adult life.
Diane’s holistic approach, largely based on Somatic and Relational healing techniques, helps us discover the source of those patterns and to apply the right understanding to unwind them, thus releasing new energy to live fully and freely in the moment.
For over 30 years, Diane’s teachings and practice have been based on Dr. Peter Levine’s decades of research and hands-on development of Somatic Experiencing®, as well as her own personal research. Her work is supported by contributions sourced from the most recent theories on attachment by Mary Ainsworth, John Bowlby, Louise Kaplan, Heinz Kohut, Mary Main, Dan Siegel, Marion Solomon, Daniel Stern, Donald W. Winnicott, Jeff Young; as well as couples work theory by Ellyn Bader, John Gottman, Stan Tatkin, and countless others.
Through the training, you will gain confidence to work more intimately with your clients and create an environment for healing to occur. Once you have this map, you will also find it much more fun and easy to work with your clients too!
Specific techniques and approaches we will work with will include:
- Presence: Learn to be with clients in increasingly difficult levels of arousal and gain a capacity for consistent awareness and presence when confronted with high activation states. The nervous system is highly trainable!
- Resonance & Attuned Relationship: To establish an empathetic relational field, to communicate in an attuned manner, and hold the container toward stabilising coherence and continuity in the client. This means JOINING versus MERGING.
- Self-regulation & Interactive Regulation: You will learn how to teach the client self-regulation through their felt sense in practical ways, while building their capacity – as well as your own – to regulate interactively in healthy relationships.
- Tracking: To recognise high activation patterns, including dissociative, flooding and frozen states; and to learn the practical strategies to work with those states efficiently through the physiology – tracking emotionally, cognitively, and “essentially.”
- Counter-Transference: To recognise when therapists are reacting to the over-activation from the clients’ issues, as a form of “arousal-induced” countertransference. it’s immensely valuable to be aware of these styles and their implications.
- Working with Arousal: To understand how to induce symptoms with or without memory or content. For example: working the edge of arousal by alternating back and forth to a “resourced” or calmer area of the body.
- Reduce Symptoms & Reduce Fear: To excavate fear and terror out of symptoms or Attachment patterns that are bound with survival energy, and to redirect that energy toward the original threat, facilitating a release out of the body (versus a charge being held in the body in a symptom or behavior). We also work to untangle the Attachment system from the threat response.
- Innate Healing Wisdom: To evoke the client’s own innate healing wisdom, or core intactness (i.e., in the form of intrinsic movement and organic meaning/emotional shifts) and help them learn Secure Attachment experience and functioning. This restores clients’ trust in themselves and their body in a very empowering way, as they feel they are doing the healing – rather than overattributing the healing effects to the therapist or teacher.
- Body Time: To work on the slower sense of time held in the body versus the much faster cognitive time; to use appropriate language to engage the survival brain and nervous system, in order to disengage the amygdala from stuck-ness in the threat response, thus allowing a physiological shift toward pleasure, relaxation, safety—enhancing well-being and Secure Attachment.
- Neuroplasticity & Efficiency: To reduce unnecessary suffering by providing enough support while working with the maximum amount of arousal; this will avoid system disorganisation or disintegration, while also helping the client stay aware and connected to uncomfortable states long enough to deepen awareness, to integrate them and to support positive neuroplasticity.
Training in Attachment Theory and Practice has become one of the main trends in psychology today. It’s benefits are now seen as being an underlying influence in our significant relationships and even our work environment.
Prior to the Training, each student receives access to a Training Manual and other didactic support materials for each module. The Manual illustrates the topics, theory, and exercises presented at each training and contains a bibliography of additional reading / media resources.
There is a mixture of Cognitive/Didactic teaching and experiential exercises.
- Feedback: Teachers and coaching assistants will support and provide in the moment feedback during class exercises. There will be one assistant for every three – four participants. This is very beneficial during the practical exercises as it allows for active coaching with one-to-one in the moment support.
- Lecture: The teaching is supported by audio/visual slide presentations, spanning a variety of relevant topics including attachment research, neuroscience, as well as valuable studies and experiential techniques from many integrative psychotherapeutic orientations.
- Didactic Support Materials: Manuals, charts and other course supplemental tools are issued to each student; training DVDs are also available through our online resource library.
- Homework Assignments: Study exercises will be provided, designed to facilitate application of course content into your life and practice.
- Practice Groups with Coaching: Both large and small practice groups offer opportunities to practice clinical applications, receive personal feedback, explore topics in depth, and ask didactic and technical questions.
- Video: Demos and examples of client sessions to illustrate teaching points.
- Demonstration: Teachers demonstrate techniques through role-play, interactions with students, and live or recorded demos of client sessions.
- Experiential Exercises: Guided meditations and exercises that include role-play, interactions within the relational field, use of somatic strategies, and intrapsychic processing are designed to give students the opportunity to practice techniques.
- DVD Library: Extensive DVD library of SE and DARe client sessions is available for purchase online; discounts and promotional packages are offered to students.
- Partner / Small Group Assignments: Student dyads or small groups will work together to practice elements of the method.
- Recommended Study Groups with Peers or Facilitators: Practice groups greatly enhance each participant’s skill level and we highly recommend that you meet monthly in-person or via Skype to practice exercises and connect to clarify your understanding of the material. When assistants, facilitators or teachers are included, for an agreed upon fee, feedback can also be given to expand therapists’ skills and provide consultation for clinical application.
Diane is pleased to offer an optional DARe certificate program in order to recognise the accomplishments of trained practitioners and advance the standard of clinical care.
The DARe certificate program offers valuable credentials as well as the chance to participate in the USA online DARe practitioner directory.
The Certificate Program requires the following:
- Attendance at a live training of all DARe Modules 1, 2, 3, 4 (even if you have already completed a DARe level on DVD or online).
- Ten credit hours of personal sessions by an approved DARe provider. It is strongly recommended that your personal sessions and consultations are distributed throughout your training. Before booking an appointment, please verify that the provider is approved and on the list.
- Ten credit hours of case consults by an approved DARe provider. These may be a mix of up to 5 group consult credits and a minimum of 5 one-on-one case consults.
- One evaluation review with faculty, lead assistant, or teaching assistant. Students will be evaluated based on their level of understanding of theory and methods taught and the student’s ability to integrate the method into his or her practice.
- Complete your training within four years.
N.B. The cost of the personal sessions and case consults is not included in the DARe tuition fee.
Each student is asked to practice key elements of the method by pairing up with another student, or working in small groups (during the training, outside of the training, or both). It can be worthwhile to stay with the same group throughout the entire course, as this practice will give students the chance to receive consistent feedback over time as well as deepen relationships.
To assist in the integration of DARe skills and methodology into clinical practice, case consultation is provided by the trainer and approved DARe consult providers to answer students’ questions on how to integrate theory and interventions into their existing practices. These may be taken in either the individual or group format.
- One hour of one-on-one case consultation will count toward one credit hour of your case consult requirements.
- Three hours of group case consultation will count toward one credit hour of your case consult requirements.
- Three Therapy Mastermind Circle Case Consult Calls is equivalent to one case consult.
The DARe program must be completed within 4 years. You must attend a live event associated with each of the four modules, even if you have already completed the equivalent of a DARe level online.
Registering for the Certificate Program
There is a one-time Certificate Program application fee of $250 USD/$350 AUD, which includes a full year of listing in the USA online practitioner directory.
- There is the opportunity for a discounted certificate program fee. By pre-paying for both of the DARe intensive modules- the application fee is waived.
- Attachment Mastery Progam Members are eligible for a special price for DARe 2 and DARe 3&4. The early bird fee applies no matter when you sign up and the certificate program fee will be waived.
DARe reserves the right to deny a Certificate Program applicant. In such an instance the Certificate fee will be refunded.
Benefits of a DARe Certificate
- Fast-track your learning and growth. You develop more precise therapeutic skills to work with attachment styles. The skills can be integrated with your basic therapeutic method and practice.
- You will increase your understanding of the brain and the nervous system and how to work therapeutically to support discharge in the nervous system.
- You will receive a DARe certificate.
- Join others who are already offering this cutting-edge therapeutic modality. You will become part of a network and community of Attachment-based therapists, enriching your own practice.
- Grow your practice by being listed on Dr. Diane Poole Heller’s high-traffic website as a DARe provider.
Training in Attachment Theory and Practice has become one of the main trends in psychology today. It’s benefits are now seen as being an underlying influence in our significant relationships and even our work environment. Its influence has gained the attention of CEOs, the medical community and even coaches.
DARe is not designed to be an independent method of healing, rather it is a supplementary method intended to be integrated into an already existing practice.
DARe 1: Healing Early Attachment Wounds & Embracing the Authentic Self
Learn effective approaches to healing childhood wounds with essential body based tools that help clients enjoy fulfilling relationships.
DARe 2: Creating Healthy Adult Relationships
Are you ready to discover how you can have deeper communication, more joy and longer lasting love in your adult relationship?
DARe 3: The Neurobiology of Loving Relationships
Learn an exciting groundbreaking approach integrating interpersonal neurobiology and adult attachment theory.
DARe 4: From Wound to Wellness: Excavating Core Intactness, Power and Resiliency
Master Diane’s resiliency based model for integrating fragmented, disorganized and dissociative states.